As a child, “The Big Treehouse Deep In Bear Country” was one of my favorite sources of imagination and inspiration. The tree itself. I just wanted to live in a tree like the Bears. (Not the treehouse my dad constructed eight feet above ground atop the wide trunk of a recently deceased elm tree … but, boy, in retrospect, wasn’t that cool?!) But a treehouse that you actually LIVED in like the Bear Family.
This way, please
just past these trees,
is our home,
our Home Sweet Tree.
Home sweet, home sweet,
Home Sweet Tree
I’m sure I’m not alone. This tree is awesome!!! And it’s probably why Stan, Jan, and Mike Berenstain went back the Treehouse itself several times as a subject for Berenstain Bears books. In total, there are four different Berenstain Bears books entitled “Home Sweet Tree,” (in
five different editions, mind you), which means that when collectors are asked, “Don’t you like ‘Home Sweet Tree’?”, the serious ones (or the seriously obsessed ones!) respond with, “YES… but which one!?” And if you don’t have them all or can’t keep them all straight, here’s the full list…
In chronological order, they are:
- The Berenstain Bears’ Home Sweet Tree (Cub Club, Random House, 1992) ISBN 0-307-23172-0 BUY USED
- The Berenstain Bears’ Home Sweet Tree (Play Along Stories, Yes Interactive, 1995) ISBN 1-57234-061-4 BUY USED
- The Berenstain Bears’ Home Sweet Tree (Peek-a-Board Books/Great Big Flap Books, Random House, 1997) ISBN 0-679-87328-7 BUY USED
- The Berenstain Bears’ Home Sweet Tree (Put Me In the Story, 2013) [story itself is reprint of Cub Club edition] CUSTOMIZE A COPY NOW!
- The Berenstain Bears’ Home Sweet Tree (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, 2013) [reprint of Cub Club edition] BUY NEW
The personalized editions from PutMeInTheStory.com are still available and make great gifts! The other editions are out of print but can be found by searching sites like ABE.com, eBay, or Amazon.